Counting, recognizing numbers as quantities visually, and combining different quantities to form/model numbers are important skills that enforce number sense in grades k,1, and 2. A strong number sense is crucial for future understanding of more complex math topics.
Number sense building activities
- Count out loud together as a class starting at one and building to higher and higher numbers.
- Count with a partner or in a circle, take turns counting by 1’s.
- Teach number patterns and counting by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s.
- Use quantities/models to recognize numbers visually.
- Encourage kids to practice one-to-one counting with different objects.
- Use number cards for kids to represent using objects.
These digital activities offer some different and fun opportunities for students to experience numbers. Playing cards offer a different way of visualizing numbers 1-10 from 10 frames or base 10 blocks. The theme of the activities is from the story of Alice in Wonderland.
Practicing counting, identifying and representing numbers with different quantities are the goals of these activities. Students will build understanding and fluency with numbers using visuals in a fun way.
48 slides are included in this package and four types of activities.
- The first 4 slides encourage students to order quantities visually.
- The next 21 slides encouraged students to model addition equations.
- The next 10 slides help to practice addition 1-20. (two or three groups)
- In the last 20 slides, the students are given a number to model in different ways.
The activity cards can be used as virtual manipulatives, for warm ups, practice, assessment, centers, homework, and more. My favorite way of using these cards is to initiate discussions and compare different ways of forming a number and solving a problem.
Here is a free version of the activities for you.
The premium version includes 48 slides and 4 different types of activities. Get the premium version here.
The activities should be used in the edit mode so that the students can drag and drop the objects. In the present mode the objects will not show. You can use the present mode after solving the problems or for examples. Share the link with the students and they will have their own copy to edit. I use the present mode to play right or wrong with the characters slides by solving (right and wrong way ) the problems.
Check out more of our number sense activity cards.
Thanks for visiting!
Please like and subscribe for more giveaways and updates.
Check out our best selling games, now back in stock and available at amazon.com and amazon.ca